September 30, 2010

The upside-down way of wholeness in Jesus (97/100)

The overwhelming testimony of the saints of the Christian faith is that the more they grew in sanctity the more they realized how little they knew God, how sinful they still were, and how far away the ultimate point of their journey was still. . . . The final witness is not our spiritual progress and sanctity, but the grace of God freely given and carrying us in the journey to wholeness. -- Ringma, Seek the Silences
This is one of the upside-down aspects of the Christian life. As long as I have it all together, living in strength, moving, progressing -- I have no need of grace and therefore little need for God. This contrast is just like that of Simon the Pharisee and the prostitute in Luke 7:36-50.

Clinging to Jesus for my very survival in ultimate desperation comes as I realize how little I know You, God; realize how sinful I still am; how far away I am from where I ought to be in this spiritual life.

Now this may all be a strange thing to read from one who is trying to help others pursue resilience in life and ministry. What we are seeking for ourselves and those we serve is integral wholeness which we understand as "being comprehensively whole in Christ; not perfect, but perfectly broken in Jesus for His use; displaying resilience in all areas of life thereby achieving continual relevance." 

It is that very sense of desperate dependence when present that drives one, drives me, to the place of grace that Ringma speaks of and in this place my life finds its meaning and purpose.

No comments: