September 11, 2010

Growing in communicating (78/100)

My bent is ideas and visioning. This is good for motivating and encouraging others. It is good for viewing the multiple interconnections that exist in a circumstance and pointing out those not previously noticed. It tends to be good for large group leading, but . . .

This bent becomes a detriment if I need to talk in concrete terms and details. I tend toward generalities and have ideas in my head that I can't effectively convey to others, particularly others who operate from a concrete, results oriented frame.

Starting a ministry requires me to learn how to communicate in new ways. All the ideas in the world will never change the world. It is the details of implementation that result in impact. Ideas and vision can motivate and maintain enthusiasm but only if the path I lay before people to follow is clear.

When learning a foreign language for me immersion is the key to success. Likewise, I suspect that being immersed in thinking in more concrete ways could help me communicate better. I will never, however, do it as well as someone who is made in this way, and therefore, I need the help of others to translate for me so that the nuances of what I am attempting to convey are not lost. Again, my need for community is essential.

However I was reminded today of another way to enhance communication; namely, that of bringing others along with me into my thought process. I too often leave out steps and expect others to make the jump from one point to another as I share an idea. I can't keep up when someone who does this to me; yet, I get careless and fail to leave a good trail of bread crumbs as well.

I am grateful for friends who are patient with me and love me despite my lack of sensitivity and skill in these areas. Lord, keep me aware of my influence on others, my need to learn and adapt, and my inability to have Kingdom influence on my own apart from community.

No comments: