September 22, 2010

Moving in rhythm (89/100)

There is something deadenly ordinary about life. Caught in the cycle of birth and ageing, night and day, and work and play, we can live with monotonous regularity and without transcendent meaning. -- Ringma, Seek the Silences
Ordinary, sounds a bit appealing. Regularity, not really part of my world. I have no rhythms in my life. Well, that's not quite true. I do have a few: sleep, wake, eating. I long for a rhythm to my life. What would it be like to have the rhythms that Ringma speaks of?
Merton suggests to us that the person 'who loves God is playing on the doorstep of eternity.' . . . In the enlightening and transformative power of the Word, . . . God playfully enters our normal reality as the God of surprises. There is nothing frivolous about all of this. But it is playful. For God paints a different picture, creates a different melody, and dances a different rhythm from the ones with which we are familiar. -- Ringma, Seek the Silences
Could it be that my inability to see a rhythm in my life is because, though I can't hear it, I am moving to His rhythm? Could it be that my days are not as random and haphazard as they appear, but in fact, they fit well into this other melody? Could it be that as I am staying close to Jesus, I am moving to this other world's rhythm though I can't hear it? Because I am resting into Him and moving with Him, He who hears clearly this other beat is guiding me in concert with it? There is great comfort and contentment in this.

No comments: