September 9, 2010

The gift of community (76/100)

Grateful today for the opportunity to be part of a community doing this ministry and doing life.
. . . it is only by a gracious anticipation of the last things that Christians are privileged to live in visible fellowship with other Christians. It is by the grace of God that a congregation is permitted to gather visible in this world to share God's Word and sacrament. Not all Christians receive this blessing. -- Bonhoeffer, Life Together.
Alone my perspective seems broad and wise, but within community can I truly understand. Particularly in the area of discernment, the value of being with one another and seeking the mind of Jesus in a matter yields a confidence in hearing and therefore in living not otherwise known.

Additionally, alone my tendency is to wander off of God's path for me and for the ministry. Within the context of a loving community where there is safety, I can be vulnerable enough to be honest and receptive enough to be corrected that transformation can result.

Finally, knowing that I have this kind of community available to me gives me confidence to enter the world speaking truth and living a life conveying love. My acceptance and sense of belonging does not come from the world making me free to live and move as me. And this is good, yielding a confidence in my God working in and through me otherwise not known.

Thank you Jesus for this gift. Cause me to never take it for granted, and to always extend this gift to others as the opportunity is presented.

No comments: