September 5, 2010

Ordinary life (72/100)

The ordinary -- the typical and unobtrusive aspects of life and ministry. In my current journey, this is reading books and articles seeking counsel for doing cross-cultural care and for organizational development, this is sending emails asking for help and corresponding with those providing it, this is praying, this writing, this is editing, this is . . .
. . . attempting in my small and unsophisticated way to do what the great artisans in the Middle Ages did when they carved the backside of a piece of art, knowing that God alone would see it. (Foster (1992), Prayer, p. 172)
Every aspect of this work is meant to honor You. Cause me to not forget this. Cause me to not neglect, disregard, or look down on the value and rhythm of the ordinary in my life and ministry.

No comments: