September 10, 2010

Gifts given though not sought (77/100)

Tonight coming home later than anticipated, I had the privilege of seeing a beautiful picture of dark blue and black clouds outlined in fiery red. It was one of those beautiful pictures painted by God. When I see something so unexpected I have two reactions.

First, I am grateful for the chance to see it. The various aspects of my day that led to me coming home late in this way and down the road I was traveling were suddenly viewed from a different perspective. Because of all of them, though at the time irritating and a bit aggravating, I got to see this cool piece of artwork painted across the western sky.

Second, I notice the people driving down and walking along this same road. So many who are travelling my same path yet who are looking in the wrong direction preventing them from seeing what I see. Others moving along but seeming to not notice, or disregarding, what has struck me with awe.

How often even this week though in this journey of intention have I been just like these people. I'm reminded of my need to be aware, looking for God's masterpieces in the common places of my journey. How much am I missing that God is painting in plain view, right overhead, yet missed by me? I'm convicted of my sin of ingratitude that keeps me from pausing to soak in the glory and appreciate the beauty. O, God, forgive me.

Open my eyes to the wonder of You, to the beauty of Your creative works, to the lavishness of Your love poured out on those like me who fail to notice.

No comments: