September 14, 2010

The requirements of asking (81/100)

Asking necessitates an awareness of personal inadequacy and a mindset of humble receptivity.

In order to choose to ask, I first must recognize that I am in need -- I am human and therefore limited in certain skills and powers, and I am willing to admit it to another. Accurately assessing my skills, gifts, abilities, and resources is also needed. Then there is the matter of knowing of whom to ask. This requires an awareness of others gifts, skills, abilities, and resources. I am placed in community and together we are to express the creative work of God in our lives through our integrated expression of all He has given us.

Therefore, when I reach the end of myself and allow others to make up for where I am lacking, we move toward the oneness for which Jesus prayed in John 17:22-23.

Asking necessitates a mindset of humble receptivity knowing that God will answer but the one being asked may not. I must come without expectation, holding my request, and my desire in which it is rooted, loosely. My vision is myopic all too often. Even when I am most clear as to my own path, there is still only one foot-fall of it that I can see and this still dimly. How can I expect to see what is best for another?

Again, a journey of trust, and asking when done in trust, can't help but be done in humility.
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. -- Mt. 7: 7

No comments: