August 5, 2010

Priority moments (41/100)

I heard a radio spot in the last few days that suggested frustrated, overwhelmed parents leave the chores and evening dishes to instead spend some time with their kids, investing in what really matters. The story prompted me to remember how frustrated I get trying to get everything done so I can invest in the things I care about. Actually, frustrated is an understatement because typically when I'm in this mode something doesn't work, or the Internet or my computer crashes, or . . . lots of not so spiritually transformed parts of my life reveal themselves.

What if I do more than I have done to this point to designate time each day for this journey, more than just scheduling the time in my BB calendar? What if I place this investment first in priority rather than after everything else is done? Practically speaking though, how will this work?

Looking at my typical work days this means getting up at 2:30 in order to engage my ultimate priority (relational investment with God) and then spend the planned two hours before being at work at 6:30. Not really feasible. So, until God grants me the freedom to do what I'm made for while generating an income, there must be a better way.

Perhaps the issue is prioritizing the incremental slices of time in each day. Choosing to invest the 30 minutes here and the 45 minutes there when it would seem easier and more efficient to work on the small doable projects on my list.

This feels like another aspect to being intentional where I look for the smaller opportunities to invest and not just the larger chunks. I hope that one day I will have more space in my schedule or that I will learn to create the needed space. However, as I was told a few days ago, there will never be enough time to do everything.

Lord, give me discernment in the moments of my days to choose to invest first in that which matters most to you and then to trust you (same theme) with the rest.

No comments: