August 16, 2010

Another aspect of trust (52/100)

Surprised to find that lessons from my policy class apply to our work. In the same way that good public policy involves developing outcomes rooted in the needs of the people, I believe that good member care involves identifying and providing for the self-professed and objective needs of the cross-cultural worker.

Perhaps this is my bias toward our methodology, but it seems that the Church or agency or anyone can only presume to know the needs of a person. If programming is not individualized, how can we expect to be as effective as needed or as God has equipped us to be in the care of people.

Although this is my bias toward individualization of care, I daily struggle to release what I think is best for another person based on my experience or knowledge as a physician (or mentor or spiritual director). My contributions are possible, and sometimes even helpful, when I operate from this habit. However, if I desire the best for others and not just good or better then I need to continue to learn to offer my help, advice, and counsel humbly remembering that the person I am attempting to minister to can hear from God for their own needs better than I will ever be able to.

Likewise, I need to remember that God is God and I am not. He is more than capable to get his message through, and sometimes he evens chooses to use me.

This knowing when to speak and when to be silent feels like this journey of calling that I have recently been living. Presumption results when I move on my own. Influencing counsel occurs when I am resting into You, Lord. It is Your subtle movements, Your soft words, the gentle nudge of Your touch that guide me best in my own walk and in helping others. This habit of presuming I know what is best in a given circumstance for a given person, or presuming I know the best path for achieving the desired outcome, is rooted in my own self-centeredness.

Jesus, keep me out of the way with my gaze fixed on You thereby available as an unhindering conduit for Your influence in the lives of others.

No comments: