July 3, 2010

Where's the target? (8/100)

How can you hit a target unless you see the target? Whether using a gun, a bow & arrow, a sling shot, or a strong arm, if the target is not visible then hitting it is just a lucky shot.

Deciding I want to be healthy and live to be 90 like my grandmother is not sufficient. Only by first establishing what healthy looks like, considering my current strengths and motivations, and recognizing my underlying physical make up can I then develop a plan for taking me from where I am to where I want to be when I am 90.
Knowing that I want to grow in my relationship with Jesus is not sufficient. I need to have a vision of what that relationship is meant to be, an understanding of how I am created to connect with God, and clarity regarding the desires that motivate me before I can choose the most appropriate things to pursue.
Likewise in the context of member care, developing a lecture, a program, or even an organization does not mean the needs of the worker will be met. Additionally, prevention in any area of care requires seeing the potential harm (the result) of a given path before it has been travelled and then intervening in order to change paths. The conversation last night and my reading today has caused me to realize that perhaps the greatest contribution we can make is developing a means of self awareness whereby the unique targets for care are identified enabling a community of care to then meet those needs for each individual.
In other words, finding a way to identify the target before throwing the pitch is the key. Whether the pitch is a curve, a slider or a fast ball, only the pitch that lands in the strike zone will count. Everything else are balls and will never win the game.

No comments: