July 21, 2010

Taking the time to not presume (26/100)

Presumption: an assumption that is taken for granted; audacious (even arrogant) behavior that you have no right to; a kind of discourtesy in the form of an act of presuming

Reading some of the research out there (whole dissertations!) that presumes to know what a misionary needs angers me.

But how often do I presume I know what another peron is going through everyday as I see people and try to find ways in a limited amount of time to help them. Much of what I determine is based on presumption. Sure, I hope I am right, but at times, I am wrong. Because I do not have the privilege of time to learn more than limited information, I am forced to make the best decision I can, and I always state the qualifier that "if you're not getting better, let me know."

But when purported experts develop whole theories for providing care for missionaries without taking the time to ask the missionary what they need, this is wrong. This is reckless presumption.

O, God, keep me from doing this. Any plan we develop MUST be theory until validated by the individual to whom we are trying to minister. We will begin with generalities as a starting place, but the details of content and methods have to individualized. I can hear some ask, "But who can take that kind of time or have such resources to individualize member care like that?"

We can. We must. People's lives are at stake.

The lack of customization is what makes good medicines and good treatment plans deadly. All the more true when attempting to provide holistic care in hard places with eternal impact.

Developing plans and theories is good and necessary. But then taking the time to be present, to ask questions with sensitivity, to listen with discernment, and then in collaboration develop a plan for lasting resilience in the context of cross-cultural ministry is what we need to do. By God's grace, this is what we will do in his timing.

No comments: