July 18, 2010

Keeping me out of the way (23/100)

Engaging in this journey of intentionality related to calling has caused me to see calling addressed in almost everything I read, hear, and do. Realizing this, I try to guard against my bias when I am trying to find a reading or passage for another person.

During spiritual direction (and peer support), the time is for the other not for me. Yet, God graciously does work through those times for me and with me as well as the one I meet with. But this is not the point, and therefore, I am careful to remind myself that the time is not about me but about her.

Today, as I was preparing to facilitate peer support, I was repeatedly led to a reading addressing calling, specifically, a section in Nouwen's book, The Inner Voice of Love, "Follow your deepest calling." I kept attributing this to my own walk and struggles, and the experiences of another one who was to be present in the group today. But out of time, and knowing that it might be helpful to the one scheduled to present today, I grabbed the book and headed out the door. On the way, the use of a piece of scripture in conjunction with this came to mind, specifically, Psalm 23:1-3 in NAS and MSG versions. Thanks to my trusty Blackberry, I was ready.

As we began, I read the passages and piece as I planned, trusting that this was from God and not from me. The sobs and deep groaning of one touched in a way only You can touch and minister was the result. The theme for her time was established uniquely and specifically preparing her for the work You desired to do in our midst. The process testified to the value and purpose of peer support and demonstrated Your presence among us.

Typically, me getting out of the way so that you can work in another's life means me creating separation from my biases and themes. So, my initial reaction as I read the piece during my time of preparation was that this was all about me and therefore there must be something else you have specifically for her for this time, and so, I kept looking. This time, me getting out of your way meant being responsive to your gentle promptings and trusting that although the piece had meaning for me, it also had purpose and meaning that I could not understand for this woman presenting today.

It was truly not about me. It was about her. It was about you, Lord.

No comments: