July 26, 2010

Motivating remembrance (31/100)

As I am attempting to complete the research proposal (just 5 days left), one of the templates for the final product suggested "beginning with something interesting like a quote or story to capture the reader's interest." Although I've read allot of stories recently and through the years have heard various ones, nothing seemed right until this evening.

Tonight, I began as usual during my focused time each day. Prayer, and in particular, establishing an openness to God's work for this evening was my expressed desire. After an hour, fatigue was setting in and my mind was wandering. At the conclusion of a short break, I committed my need for focus and the ability to concentrate to Jesus. My thoughts shifted from my previous work to the introduction again. I remembered the contrasting stories I used during my first class in this program over a year ago.

These stories demonstrate the contrast in results when there is and there is not a community of integral care in place supporting the cross-cultural worker. In the first case, one who is apparently strong in the Faith but inadequately supported in the areas of spiritual, psychological, and relational care soon falters on the field to his shame and the shame of the ministry. In the second case, one who is wounded and living with hidden shame finds the support of a caring community that sets her free from her past and from fear as she grows unto spiritual and psychological strength discovering as she ministers on the field a resilience and power that otherwise would have been missed.

Remembering these stories today keeps me at the task. God's love for them and the people they are attempting to serve is the reason for our vision, our plans, our efforts. I ache for them to experience that love.

No comments: