June 30, 2010

It's all about choices (5/100)

The reality of living into all God has for me as a journey of choices became apparent today -- a day stuffed full with commitments to work, teaching, and friendship. The lessons have been powerful and unexpected.

It's a matter of priority --> awake often overnight while on call, up early but not as early as hoped, notes and tasks from yesterday needing to be finished; it's 5 a.m. and a choice needs to be made. Will I head into work to try and get things done before my next office session starts at 7, or will I instead give an hour to learning unto this call God has placed on my life? A choice to be made to live out of the priorities of who God has made me to be and what he has called me to live.

It's a matter of redeeming the time --> done with work this afternoon, spiritual friends meeting scheduled at 6:15; it's 5:25 p.m. and another choice now is faced. It's not much time, certainly not the planned two hours, but it is time that could be used for additional reading and reflection. How will I choose?

It's a matter of commitment --> I'm home now; it's 10:30 p.m. and another choice is faced. I feel the fatigue setting in and could let things go for today. Two days ago I released the tendency to "log the time" out of legalism, but that's not what this is. I really want to finish the chapter I started reading earlier this evening. This is important to give myself to this learning and the journey.

The steps necessary for journeying into calling are evident in my experiences this day:
  • the priority of what I am doing
  • my ability to notice and then redeem the time that is provided no matter how apparently insufficient
  • my continual need for a life of commitment to the greater work God is doing as I respond to my heart-desires
Lord, thank you for the grace to remain in this journey of 100 days and cause me to remember these essential lessons as I continue to follow your unveiling path.

No comments: