October 9, 2010

In awe

Rob Bell in the third chapter of Velvet Elvis begins by describing times of being in awe of God. As I read his stories, the emotion overwhelmed me as only happens when the connection of a lived experience links you with an author.

Awe, when words fail --
  • the day I crossed the line of faith, when all the world changed, even the colors in the world became brighter, more visivd, more real
  • the day I graduated from medical school, I couldn't stop smiling even as I went to sleep that night
  • the time I tangibly felt the touch of God and His unbounded love for me
  • the morning of unexpected revelation when God placed that pivotal piece in the puzzle of my life that allowed me to see His artistry He had constructed to lead me to His life's work for me
Awe, not something you live in (tho' it seems like it would be cool to do so). It's the unexpected, one of those thin places where the glory on the other side leaks through.

Take the time to consider your own experiences of awe. Experience them again, see them afresh, be renewed by the gift of glory in the unexpected.

No comments: