January 29, 2009

a picture of intention

I clearly don't get it as evidenced by my life, but I think a picture of how this works is taking shape in me.

"to be driven" looks like a farmer plowing a field, traversing a path across his land from one side to the other. picking up the plow and pressing unto that end. Fatigue is a natural result because of the energy it takes to accomplish this kind of work. In this scene, I see myself pushing through even when the grade becomes an uphill climb, all the while hoping for a change in terrain once the hill is accomplished. I keep pushing because the result is so important, in order to plant the seed a furrow must be formed.

"to be intentional" looks like a farmer plowing a field an inner awareness that there is a greater purpose cutting a furrow from end to end of his field. As I press into the plow I remain aware of the contour of the land choosing to follow it rather than cutting across it. The resulting furrow is not straight but instead flows over the piece of intervening property from my starting place unto its end. Looking back at my finished work, I can now see that it was more than a furrow that I cut; a ribbon of soil has been left to embrace the seed that will be cast, keeping it from flowing away in the waters of the spring rain.
Lord, teach me.

No comments: