June 15, 2007

A life discovered

While hiking recently through Pinchot State Park, I sat to consider, to draw, to write. As I sat quietly long enough, I began to see a change in the world around me. When I stopped, I initially heard an occasional insect flying by and the distant call of birds. Suddenly a noise prompted me to look up from my book. As I did so, my eyes met those of a grey squirrel. Her white furry belly was exposed as she stood upright. She looked as surprised to see me as I was to see her frozen in the middle of the path beside which I sat. Scurrying behind a nearby tree she hid for a time before gathering enough courage to cross the path on into the underbrush on the other side. As she did, I began to hear the sound of other squirrels scampering about in the trees above until I saw two venture onto the path to my right oblivious to my presence. Soon other squirrels were seen and heard moving about. Birds began calling to one another and could be seen flitting around in the underbrush.

So much life,
Previously hidden due to my loud pace through these woods,
Visible only once I stopped
And quieted.

Likewise it is with my own life,
Missing so much because I scare it away with all of my activity,
A life that bravely pursues its desire to venture out when I am willing
To sit quietly,
To watch,
To listen,
To learn.

2 comments:

deAnn Alyse said...

awesome, Deb. I bet that weekend camping alone was very spiritual and wonderful. I'm right where you are here with a busy life...and I NEED to MAKE time to SLOW DOWN and LISTEN - to God, to life, to the Holy Spirit. Great post...keep 'em coming! Loveya, dee

Lauren said...

Oh that is awesome. It's SO true. How much life is missed because we are so busy. And busy with what? What is so important that we feel we must be moving constantly, instead of taking time to enjoy what life is really all about?!! Thanks for the post!!